Monday 30 April 2012

On working in the Beauty Industry: Gwen Stefani said it best: "Magic's in the make-up/ I can fool you/ and attract attention" I currently work for Canada's oldest department store in the cosmetic department as a Beauty Advisor. The irony is not lost on me. Some days, it is hard to come into work and feel "beautiful" when still, after over a year has passed since my last radiation, I have to wear a wig to work because my own hair has not fully grown back yet. It is on days like these that I remind myself that my hair is only a very small part of my package, my identity. My real beauty comes from my character. On the other hand, working in the beauty department can be lots of fun! Getting to experiment with all the new products, and perform make-overs on customers is great fun. I go to work each day feeling excited, because I am going to a job where I actually look forward to working. I also, as small as it may be, like to think that I bring joy into women's lives. I get to help women feel better about themselves, and express their own beauty. This coming Sunday, our store is holding a "Gala" to support Look Good Feel Better, a program that I attended when I was sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment