Thursday 2 June 2011

Look Good, Feel Better (from my journal - Sept 29, 2010)

“There’s more than one dimension/
I can fool you and/ attract attention/...
But I want to be the real thing/
But if you catch my eyes can’t be authentic/...
My makeup’s all off/
Who am I?”
Magic’s in the Makeup by No Doubt

I am a makeup girl. A girlie girl. My makeup is my safety blanket. I do not like leaving the house, or even beginning my day, without it. The whole process of applying it in the morning is like a ritual that strengthens me for the day ahead.

After my morning shower, I like to get in the front of the mirror, and begin the ritual. I stand there with my bald little alien head and take inventory. Any new wrinkles? No, good. Any blemishes? A few, so let’s cover those up, after we apply the lotion.

Ok, applying cover up. I apply this under my eyes and on my eyelids. I make sure to cover my two little stork bites, one on each cheek. They never get completely covered though. Next: my foundation. I put it onto a sponge, and dab it all over my face. Then I go crazy with the loose powder puff. After my face is suitably matte, I might apply some blush to the apples of my cheeks. Then I apply numerous coats of mascara to my lashes, both upper and lower. After chemo, I swear I am getting eyelash extensions. They haven’t fallen out (YET, knock on wood), but I really want impossibly long and fake looking lashes without the hassle of mascara. Also, this way, guys will think that they are naturally this long and lush! Anyway, after the mascara, I work on my eye shadow. I apply a shimmery shade of light beige to the entire lid, then a musky shade of brown to the lid and crease. I finish it off with a shimmery dusting of pink sparkle to the entire lid. Lightly fill in my brows. Then apply dark espresso brown liner to my bottom lash line, and line the upper lid pinup Betty Page style with dark brown-black liquid liner. I finish it off with shimmery glossy lips. Now, I am ready to face my day!

Oh, wait! Almost forgot to put on my wig! Ha ha. Now, that would be a sight wouldn’t it? Totally made up face, and a funny little bald alien head wearing just a wig cap. I almost have a cone head. Ok, wig is on, and NOW I am ready to face my day.

Look Good, Feel Better is a free program offered to women with cancer. They provide you with a complimentary makeup kit, and teach you how to apply make up and take care of your skin during chemotherapy. It’s a great program, and all funded by donations.
I arrive at the hospital, and take my seat in the conference room. There are about 12 women attending. Each participant has a lady from LGFB to sit with her and help go through the application process.




No comments:

Post a Comment